Sunday, January 25, 2015

How I made Red Heart Silky Smooth (well, as much as it can be)

Hey Everyone!

I had a quick notion and I wanted to talk to you about it.

You know how cheap Red Heart feels. Acrylic yarn isn't the best against your skin but if you are like me, and have to crochet on a budget, you find yourself buying this money saving yarn from time to time.

My moms birthday is the last day of Jan. She asked me back at Christmas if I would crochet her a scarf. She gave me total liberty. It took me a minute to find a pattern but I did.

Its a simple V-stitch (which happens to be my favorite at the moment) and I used Red Heart Mulberry Mix. 
This yarn is really pretty. Soft (haha) muted tones of plum, lilac, mauve and a periwinkle. Its really muted and I wanted to make her something that looked pretty as well as warm.

The only suggestion she made? Not to make the scarf too long. She doesn't want it to hang down too far. 

Well, here it is.



Aren't the stitch and the colors gorgeous. I put it in the natural light so you can see how pretty it is. Camera is pretty close. Kinda, lol

Ok, reason for this post.

I went searching the net for a way to make this yarn soft. I came across this post. 


The "recipe" she made up uses vinegar, regular shampoo and conditioner. Thats it.
There are a few rules.
No agitation, cold water, soak but it only took about 3 hrs total including the soaking. I laid it out and blocked it on my ironing board and this morning it was dry. Don't wring! Use a towel! You don't want to break the fibers in the yarn.


Lookin Good!

It turned out really soft.
I think my mom is going to love it. Who wouldn't love a handmade gift by someone who loves you best in the world?

This softening of the yarn worked for me.
THANKS TO MOMMY ON A SHOESTRING FOR POSTING IT.

DO YOU HAVE A WAY TO DO IT?
IF SO, DROP ME A MESSAGE.
I AM INTERESTED!

I can't afford $20.00 hanks of gorgeous hand spun yarn. 
I WISH!!!

One more thing, 
DO YOU BUY YARN ONLINE?
WHERE AND WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST?

I have to ask you all, because I am so new that I don't know who puts out the best deals, Idk the yarn mills or even the online sites. Plus, I live in a one redlight town, with no stores (seriously, a Go Mart, DG, and Rite Aide) I don't drive and the nearest Wally World is almost hr away. :-(

Your help would help me so much!
Since I have been linking up my projects I have had new visitors. 
THANK YOU!
That's the reason I asked.
Surely, someone will leave me some advice.

Have a great evening, and rest of the weekend!

Happy Hookin!
~Crystal

3 comments:

  1. Crystal,
    You asked about online sales. My only suggestion would be to sign up to get emails from different places. Last year, e.g., I bought a skein of a beautiful yarn while I was visiting in NH (I live in CA). When I bought, I had no idea what I was going to do with it. Well, long story short. Decided to make a scarf for daughter and needed more yarn....I found it through search - and it was cheaper than what I'd paid in the store. (even considering shipping!) Sgn up to get emails from Deramores (you can indicate Deramores US when you start). I found Jimmy Beans Wool http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/ to have some really good sales. Lion Brand frequently has sales...I've even bought yarn online from Hobby Lobby - and found they have some really good specials (and regular coupons to use for them!). Here: http://www.hobbylobby.com/home.cfm Their Acrylic (called I love this yarn) is WAY softer and nicer to work with than RHSS! and the colorways are beautiful!
    Good luck! I know what it's like to have to budget...you know what they say - "where there's a will, there's a way!"
    you keep going and before you know it, you'll be making money with your crochet!
    Have a Blessed Day! and just keep on hooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal! I just found you through Artful Flourish blog. I have been a crocheter and knitter for many years. I LOVE yarn! I buy a lot of my yarn through Michael's Craft Store online. They often have different yarns on sale. I also buy the better, high quality, natural-fiber yarns through an online site called Craftsy. Their stock is always changing and they run really good sales at various times. You can also buy yarn online through Walmart and have it delivered right to your door. I'm like you in that I don't have a nice yarn source right nearby so I get most of mine online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Hobby Lobby "I love this Yarn" Similar to Red Heart as far a quantity...but much softer. I think it is very similar to Stylecraft DK. I also use Caron Simply Soft from Wal-Mart. Order on line and will be delivered to your door in a day or two. Hope this helps...Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete